Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Uprooted
by Naomi Novik

I have been reading Fantasy literature nearly all of my life, so I know a good Fantasy book when I come across one. This book surprised me with its creative elements, something that doesn’t happen very often in current Fantasy literature. As a fan of Naomi Novik’s Temeraire series, I was pleased to see that she had published something completely different. This book fulfilled my expectations and more. Novik’s writing is well-crafted as she pulls the reader into the story and makes you want to keep reading without a break. I especially enjoyed how she fleshed out the characters of Agnieszka and Kasia, lifelong friends and warriors in the battle against the evil that lurks in the Wood. The character of the Dragon, the wizard who is the overlord of the town that Agnieszka and Kasia live in, is one of the most unlikable heroes I have ever found. If I could criticize anything about the story, it would be to wish that Novik had improved his character in the story or not made him the object of a romantic relationship. On the other hand, one of the things I enjoyed most was how the author would suddenly throw in a plot twist that took me completely by surprise. Even the ending was much different than I was expecting. I would guess that the author plans to write a sequel to this in the near future. I will look forward to it.

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, starting with His Majesty’s Dragon, The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip, The Riddlemaster of Hed also by Patricia McKillip, The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling and The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.] [ official Uprooted page on the official Naomi Novik web site ]

Recommended by Kim J.
Bennett Martin Public Library

 Have you read this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?
 

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: