Friday, June 22, 2018

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler (on CD)

Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea
by Chelsea Handler [817 Han] 

I totally want to be friends with Chelsea Handler!!! She’s hilarious! I haven’t had a chance to see her in much of anything (she’s done stand-up, as well as a couple of different series on TV), and this is the first of her books that I’ve read. Lucky for me, I listened to the audiobook, which she read herself. It. Was. HYSTERICAL!!! She’s so snarky and clever, and she’s a bit of a lush. She’s also quite a foul-mouth, so this book is not for those with ‘delicate sensibilities.’ I would say this is probably a collection of essays, rather than an autobiography or memoir… She basically tells a few stories about life events, but she is sure to just throw in her opinions on things (e.g. the redhead she “accidentally” found herself in a relationship with, despite her disdain for redheads… or, as she calls them, “orange-heads.”)

Something I truly enjoyed about listening to this book was that it sounded as though she was merely talking to me, rather than reading something she’d written earlier. I guess that’s the sign of a master stand-up comic…being so familiar with the material that it sounds fresh each time. In that case, I’m going to be looking for anything I can find of her stand-up material and/or any of the shows she’s done.

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee, by Sarah Silverman, and I Can’t Make This Up: Life Lessons, by Kevin Hart.]

[ Wikipedia page for Are You There, Vodka. It’s Me, Chelsea! ] | [ official Chelsea Handler web site ]

Recommended by Tracy T.
Bennett Martin Public Library

Have you read or listened to this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: