Sunday, October 28, 2018

Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding (on CD and Downloadable Audio)

Bridget Jones’ Diary
by Helen Fielding [Compact Disc Fielding and Downloadable Audio]

I saw this movie ages ago–not when it came out, but after it had been out on video for about five years. It was pretty funny, but I wasn’t thrilled with the cast, I think. I don’t know. I felt the movie was “just okay.”

For some reason, though, I saw the audiobook for this story recently, and I thought, “Hmm…. I wonder how different the book is? Would I like it? Would it be fun to listen to?” The answers–yes! yes! YES!!!

I love the format of the story–Bridget keeping an almost daily diary, starting each entry with her weight, the alcohol “units” consumed that day, and the number of cigarettes smoked that day. Sometimes, she’ll add little notes, like “v.g.” for “very good,” or “v. poor” for “very poor,” etc. Then she’ll go on and describe the events of the day. It’s deliciously funny, the way she goes through the exact events… sometimes, if she’s struggling (like putting off cooking something, or trying to set up her video machine to record a TV show for her mother), she’ll break down the event in five minute increments… it really illustrates how much of a procrastinator she is, how deeply she struggles with absolutely mundane things, etc. I found it embarrassingly funny, because I know I’ve done the same things!!! The story takes place largely in London, and Bridget and the other characters are all British… so there’s a bit of slang that one has to weed through now and then. For example, Bridget would note, for several days in a row, how many “instants” she went through that day. She finally explains, down the road, that they are instant lottery tickets, similar to our pickle cards or maybe scratch-off tickets. I enjoy this about the book, though. I like they way the story flows and you either figure the language out on your own, or she eventually clears it up for you.

The narration is done by Imogen Church. I’ve listened to a couple of other books narrated by her (The Woman in Cabin Ten; Into the Water; etc.), and I will be picking other audiobooks to listen to largely because she’s the narrator. She does a fabulous job!!!

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Confessions of a Shopaholic, by Sophie Kinsella.] [ Wikipedia page for Helen Fielding ]

Recommended by Tracy T.
Bennett Martin Public Library

Have you read or listened to this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: