Thursday, May 14, 2020

Book Review: Everything I Need to Know I Learned From Watching Mister Rogers' Neighborhood by Melissa Wagner and Max Dalton


Everything I Need to Know I Learned From Watching Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood
written by Melissa Wagner with art by Max Dalton (158.1 Wag)

This compact little hardback book gathers together quotes by Fred Rogers and memories of his iconic Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood children’s series, under a variety of thematic chapters, including “You Are Special”, “Be a Helper”, “All Kinds of Feelings Are Okay”, “Don’t Forget the Fun”, “We Are All Neighbors” and more. Much like previous “All I Need to Know I Learned…” books by other authors, the main lessons are distilled into their most simplistic aphorisms, but the heart of how Mister Rogers addressed sensitive issues is still effectively captured.

I enjoyed revisiting the memories of growing up with Mister Rogers Neighborhood, which this book brought up for me, a child of the late 1960s/early 1970s. For anyone who didn’t grow up with Mister Rogers, this book may not hit its mark. My only real complaint was that I wasn’t a particular fan of the art throughout the book. Other readers may not have an issue with that, so if you’re looking for some good life lessons as doled out by Mister Rogers, give this one a try.

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try the films Won’t You Be My Neighbor? and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood on DVD, or The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers by Maxwell King or I’m Proud of You: My Friendship With Fred Rogers by Tim Madigan, and the various DVDs in the Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood series owned by the libraries.] [ publisher’s page for Melissa Wagner ]

See Scott C’s review of A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, here on BookGuide in April 2020
See Scott C’s review of Won’t You Be My Neighbor?, here on BookGuide in November 2018
See Scott C’s review of The World According to Mister Rogers, here on BookGuide in June 2017

Recommended by Scott C.
Bennett Martin Public Library

Have you read this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewer’s recommendations!

No comments: