Saturday, January 24, 2009

Best DVDs for 2008!

Hello to all the visitors to the BookGuide blog as we continue to wrap up our library favorites from the past year! We already asked you what your favorite "reads" were in 2008, and one of the comments posted in response to that was the suggestion that we ask the same question about DVDs.

So here we go... We'd like to hear more from you. With that in mind, we encourage any and all visitors to leave a comment in response to the following question:

What were your favorite library DVD rentals in 2008?

Rather than movies you saw in the theater last year, this question addresses either movies or TV boxed sets that were either newly released on DVD in 2008, or older titles that you finally got around to watching last year. You can leave a simple comment post with just one or more DVD titles listed, or you can be more verbose and tell us what you liked about those titles in more detail. You can remain completely anonymous, or leave your name at the end of your comments, or even link to your own blog if you'd like.

Help us celebrate a year of library DVD viewing by letting us know what DVD(s) you enjoyed the most in 2008. We look forward to hearing what you thought!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, this shows my age, but I was thrilled to be "gifted" the double-feature "Prisoner of Zenda" last year, with both the Ronald Colman/Douglas Fairbanks (1930s?) version with the Stewart Granger/James Mason (1950s?) version on one DVD. Since it's one of my favorite movies, and both films feature some of my favorite actors, it's a great evening's entertainment.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite movies that I viewed in 2008 was "The Lives of Others". It was an interesting take on a love story. Also, it was very insightful on what it takes to live in a Communist country as an artist.

Anonymous said...

A movie that I didn't actually like but it stayed with me for a very long time was the very creepy No country for Old Men. I read the book but there is just something about the way the characters came to my reality that stayed with me.
To counter that I have to say that Enchanted was a cute Disney movie the way they combined cartoon with reality.
Finally one excellent film for me was the very insightful The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. An incredible perspective of being locked into a body that doesn't respond and trying to figure out how to communicate. Very well done.