Friday, November 14, 2014

Dear Luke, We Need to Talk: and Other Pop-Culture Correspondences

Dear Luke, We Need to Talk: and Other Pop-Culture Correspondences
by John Moe [817 Moe]

This is a sometimes-hilarious, sometimes-annoying collection of fake correspondences between pop-culture icons. From the handwritten notes of Darth Vader to his newly-discovered son Luke Skywalker, trying to explain his status as an absentee father, to bitingly satirical inteviews with various Disney animated personnel discussing the conundrum about Goofy and Pluto both being dogs, humorist John Moe skewers dozens of different pop culture standards. And the formats of correspondence that he mocks are equally entertaining -- letters, e-mails, journal entries, Don Draper's cocktail recipe notecards, poetry, extended Fight Club rules lists, the formats go on and on. I found myself smiling and giggling at about 65% of the content of this breezy collection. Unfortunately, the other 35% was either un-funny or somewhat insulting or insensitive. Or, unfortunately, boring and repetitive, which applies to a long, drawn-out series of Super Bowl Half-Time proposals, which became tiresome very quickly. None-the-less, the portions of this humor collection that "clicked" more than make up for the portions which fell flat, and I do recommend it to anyone with their finger on the pulse of pop-culture! -- recommended by Scott C. - Bennett Martin Public Library [ see Scott's Reviewer Profile and more of his reviews ]

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try the Lazlo letters books by Don "Father Guido Sarducci" Novello, Idiot Letters by Paul Nosa, and the satirical news collections by the editor of The Onion.]

[ official Dear Luke... web page on the official Wits Radio web site - hosted by John Moe ]

Have you read this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: