Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
by Trevor Noah [Biography Noah] 

I only knew of Trevor Noah from The Daily Show, and since I’ve always been in awe by both his humor and his ability to explain politics, history, and life in a way that’s easy for me to understand, I couldn’t wait to finish the other book I was reading when this fell into my hands. I’m glad I listened to my instincts, as I have been thoroughly enjoying and recommending this book to everyone.

Not only did he teach me an incredible amount about Apartheid, but (unbelievable as it is that a biography from South Africa during Apartheid could offer any light moments) he was also hilarious in describing himself as a young person who gave his mom a giant’s share of challenges with his behavior. His tribute to his mother is always a top theme among the eleven short stories in this book. She was strong and raised him to carry himself as a good person and escape poverty.

His mother is a black Xhosa woman, and his father is a white Swiss man. Since South African separated white people, black people, “colored” people (their word for those with a black parent and a white parent), and Indians into different communities to keep them separate, being seen walking with either of his parents would result in them being imprisoned for four to five years. I learned there are eleven national languages in South African.

Once I started this book, I could not put it down. I am so glad he wrote so much about his truly inspirational and strong mother.

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Swing Time, by Zadie Smith.]

[ publisher’s official Born a Crime web site ] | [ official Trevor Noah web site ]

Recommended by Jodi R.
Gere Branch Library

Have you read this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: