Monday, May 20, 2019

Review: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey


A Million Little Pieces
by James Frey [362.29 Fre]

I had heard about this book when it hit the Oprah’s Book Club list…. then I heard about it again when the “truth” was “revealed”…. that it wasn’t actually a memoir, as touted, but a work of fiction… ooh! the CONTROVERSY!!!!

I picked it up at a book sale or in a bargain bin about a year ago, having always been curious about it. Yes, I knew it was a work of fiction, or at least more fiction than truth… but I was still interested in the actual story.
I’m glad I finally started reading it–it was REALLY intense and very interesting. Regardless of whether or not it’s a true story, it was very, VERY good! I was immediately sucked into James’ story. I’m incredibly curious about the Road to Recovery for addicts, and this, to me, was a clear picture of how difficult and harrowing it can be. There were a lot of things I’m sure happen to some people, in reality, and they were naked and scary and ugly and painful. I appreciated that candor. I also appreciated, by way of reading this story, how lucky I am to have missed these problems. It became clear to me, once again, that addiction can hit anyone at any time, regardless of class, race, upbringing, values, etc.

I think everyone should read this! **I will note, there were things about the way this book was written that just drove me nuts! The author capitalizes just the WRONG words, seemingly willy-nilly. It’s bothersome to me… if you’re uptight about grammar, the way I am. But I opted to overlook it, since the story was so good.

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try High on Arrival, by Mackenzie Phillips, or Last Night I Sang to the Monster, by Benjamin Alire Saenz.]

[ Wikipedia entry for A Million Little Pieces ] | [ official James Frey web site ]
Recommended by Tracy T.
Anderson and Bethany Branch Libraries

Have you read this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewer’s recommendations!

No comments: