Friday, December 11, 2020

Book Review: Legendary Locals of Estes Park by Steve Mitchell

Legendary Locals of Estes Park
by Steve Mitchell (eBook only)

My wife and I, and others in my family, enjoy to vacation in the mountain town of Estes Park, CO, and hike in Rocky Mountain National Park. We’ve been up there so many times that I feel like I know the village almost like an old friend. Like most tourists, every time we’re up there, we shop in all the local stores. So, when I stopped in the local small independent bookstore there, MacDonald Bookshop, and found this volume, I snatched it up and enjoyed reading it there while on a recent vacation. This book highlights several dozen significant individuals in Estes Park, both in a historical nature and some still currently active in Estes Park life. Each individual gets a page or two, with marvelous photos. The author fills the pages with interesting tidbits of information, though not a huge amount of details.

 

I didn’t think I’d be able to review this for the libraries’ Staff Recommendations, so I was surprised to discover that, though my copy is a paperback, the libraries actually have this volume available for check out as an E-book! And not only this entry, but over 100 other “Legendary Locals” volumes (from Arcadia Press) covering cities and towns across the entire United States. (Oddly enough, there is not a “Legendary Locals of Lincoln” — someone needs to fill that gap!). Explore all sorts of places around the country, through this series of books, focused on the people who made each city what it is today. And if, like me, you’ve ever vacationed in Estes Park, I highly recommend this particular entry — you’ll learn about the founding of both Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park, but you’ll also see interesting stories about some of the folks who make Estes Park tick right now!


[ official Visit Estes Park tourism site ] | [ official Legendary Locals page on the Arcadia Publishing web site ]

 

Recommended by Scott C.
Bennett Martin Public Library – Public Service

 

Have you read or listened to this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?


New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide Blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewer’s recommendations!

No comments: