Friday, January 24, 2020

Book Review: Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come by Jessica Pan



I chuckled to myself upon reading the title and it was enough to get me interested in it’s content. I thought “could this be any more true about myself?” I thoroughly enjoyed the author’s chronicle of her hilarious and painful year of misadventures, fighting hard against her introvert tendencies to see if living as a extrovert could pull her out of her depression, brought on by her debilitating introversion. She subjects herself to speaking to strangers, speaking in front of an audience, performing stand up comedy, traveling by herself without a plan, and several other activities that would normally make her cringe (myself included). Often I wonder if she’s writing about me. While my level of introversion isn’t as extreme, I still found her experience to hit pretty close to home. I applaud her for putting herself out there, being vulnerable, and trying to overcome her fears. It was reassuring to read about her experience and reflect upon my own personal struggles to come out of my shell, or not, and that’s perfectly OK.

[ official Jess Pan web site ]

Recommended by Mai D.
Bennett Martin Public Library

Have you read this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewer’s recommendations!

No comments: