Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I'll Mature When I'm Dead (on CD)

I'll Mature When I'm Dead: Dave Barry's Amazing Tales of Adulthood
by Dave Barry [Compact Disc 817 Bar]

I enjoy Pulitzer Prize columnist Dave Barry's humor a lot, including the 1990s sitcom "Dave's World", so I decided to give this audio book a try, especially when I saw that it was self-narrated. Plus, he always has a way with titles. It's a collection of essays that first came out in a print edition in 2010. I'll put a PG caution on it for some 4-letter words and adult topics but over all it is a fun and quite true look at parenting, middle age, technology, marriage, and other assorted events of middle-class life. It also includes parodies of the TV series "24" and the "Twilight" book/movie trilogy. Dave also gets some serious shots in among the comedy at tightly-wound soccer parents, health care, the downturn of daily newspapers, and the Miami-New York 'rivalry'. The chapters lend themselves to listening in "drive time" portions -- the tracks are from three to seven minutes each. Like me, I think you will LOL from time to time at Mr. Barry's sarcasm but also be touched by how astute and even sensitive he is, too. -- recommended by Becky W.C. - Walt Branch Library [ see Becky's Reviewer Profile and more of her reviews ]

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try the book of the same title; Dave Barry Slept Here : A Sort of History of the United States; Dave Barry is Not Making This Up; Dave Barry's Money Secrets : Like, Why is There a Giant Eyeball on the Dollar? (downloadable audiobook); You Can Date Boys When You're Forty : Dave Barry on Parenting and Other Topics he Knows Very Little About (new in 2014).]

[Also available in downloadable audio and traditional print formats.]

[ official I'll Mature When I'm Dead page on the official Dave Barry web site ]


Have you read or listened to this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: