Friday, July 31, 2015

I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend by Martin Short (downloadable audiobook)

I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend
by Martin Short [Biography Short / Downloadable Audio / Compact Disc Biography Short]

Martin Short has always been one of my favorite comic actors. He throws himself into bizarre characters that really add life and texture to even the most bland productions. Many of his popular “bits” have really taken on a life of their own, particularly the Pat Sajak-obsessed Ed Grimley (from whom the title of Martin’s book originates), and the fawning and repulsive Jiminy Glick. In this very enjoyable autobiography, Short recounts his experiences growing up in Canada, pretending to be an entertainer and talk-show/variety-show host at a very young age. Short provides numerous amusing and insightful observations about the entertainment industry in both Canada and the U.S., and the many fascinating actors and comedians he’s worked with. I particularly enjoyed his tales of working on both Saturday Night Live and SCTV. For such a gifted comic actor and writer, making me laugh at the humor in his life was child’s play. However, the chapters in which he recounts his wife’s battles with ovarian cancer, to which she succumbed in 2010, are ultimately the most moving part of this showbiz memoir. I checked this out from the libraries as a downloadable audiobook, and in retrospect I must say that this is really the only way to enjoy this biography. While well written, and probably enjoyable as a printed book, the audiobook format allows for Short, who narrates, to launch into dozens of character voices, sing songs and emote. This was a truly moving and laugh-filled reading/listening experience. I can’t recommend this highly enough — one of my favorite reads in the past few years!

[ publisher’s I Must Say web page ] | [ Martin Short page on Wikipedia ]

Recommended by Scott C.
Bennett Martin Public Library

Have you read or listened to this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations! 

No comments: