Wednesday, January 13, 2016

At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen

At the Water’s Edge
by Sara Gruen [Compact Disc Gruen]


I listened to this on CD, in my car. I really enjoyed it a lot! I had read Sara Gruen’s “Water for Elephants” a few years ago and found that pretty good… But I think this is far and away better than “Elephants”! I think it helped having it read to me, complete with Scottish accents–so beautiful! I know things are different now, in Drumnadrochit, than they were during WWII… but I still think it would be beautiful and exciting and enriching to go visit.

I remember, when my husband read “The Great Gatsby”, he expressed great disdain for the over-privileged, over-indulged, self-serving wealthy brats in that story–that’s how I felt about the main characters in “Water’s Edge”. Except that Maddie does a complete 180 and sees how ugly that lifestyle actually was! And, as so often happens in stories (as in real life), she discovered that those around her that are ‘poor’ are actually far richer than the wealthy folks she’s been surrounded by all her life.

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Water for Elephants, also by Gruen, and After the War is Over by Jennifer Robson.] [ official Sara Gruen web site ]

Recommended by Tracy T.
Bennett Martin Public Library

Have you read this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?
 

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: