Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King (on audio)

The Colorado Kid
by Stephen King
 I read (listened to) this book because my book club was going to be gathering for our 100th time soon, and we’d all be discussing our all-time favorite mysteries. Since I’m new to the mystery genre, I wanted to try to (a) sneak in another mystery quickly before we met, and (b) add a Stephen King one to my repertoire, if possible. (Did you know that most of his novels are considered either Horror or Suspense? I guess I used to consider Suspense the same as Mystery, but apparently they’re not the same. Anyway…)

I enjoyed this book, largely because of the fellow who did the reading — he did his Mainer voices really well, and there were only three characters, so it was easy to keep them separate. And the story was beautifully written, as I’ve come to believe that few authors other than King can do. My attention was snagged in the beginning and held firm ’til the end.

However, I’m only giving this an “I really liked it” rating, rather than “it was amazing”, because as a mystery, it didn’t have me absolutely on the edge of my seat, dying to know the answer…plus, well, I don’t want to spoil it, but it didn’t end the way I’d hoped…

That being said, I’d still recommend it if you enjoy King’s work and/or if you’re into mysteries.

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Joyland, also by Stephen King.] [ Colorado Kid page on the official Stephen King web site ]

Recommended by Tracy T.
Bennett Martin Public Library

Have you read or listened to this? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: