Friday, January 26, 2018

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

We Need to Talk About Kevin
by Lionel Shriver [Shriver] 

I. LOVED. This book! I loved the way it was written, both the format and the actual wording. Lionel Shriver is a GENIUS with words!!! Y’know how, sometimes, you have a conversation with someone, or you read something, and you feel DUMBER for having read that or had that conversation? This is the exact opposite! I feel SMARTER for having read this book! The language was absolutely poetic, to me, and I really felt like I could identify with Eva, the protagonist, on almost every level. I really want to come back to this one and read it again someday. I’m also going to read more of Shriver’s work!!!

As for the subject matter itself, I thought it was extremely interesting, thinking about how many school shootings (and other public massacres) there have been in recent years… and I could totally see someone, especially the mother of a shooter, becoming obsessed with prior and subsequent events like that. In fact, I’m considering buying this book (I listened to the audio) so I could have documentation of the other scenarios listed. (This book is based off a fictional shooting, but the others listed did, in fact, happen.)

[If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Hate List, by Jennifer Brown, or Nineteen Minutes, by Jodi Picoult.]

[ Wikipedia page for the book We Need to Talk About Kevin ] | [ Wikipedia page for the author Lionel Shriver ]

Recommended by Tracy T.
Bennett Martin Public Library

Have you read this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?

New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewers recommendations!

No comments: