Saturday, October 23, 2021

DVD Review: Candyman (1992)

Candyman (1992)
(DVD Candyman)

I first heard about this movie when it came out, in 1992. I had not seen it, as I didn’t typically like scary movies. However, I was living in Chicago at the time that it came out, and I actually was working with a young woman who had spent part of her youth living in the Cabrini Greens projects….which is where this story takes place. Also, my roommate at the time worked in an after-school program for low-income teens…they were TERRIFIED of this movie.

 

Fast forward to present day: I’ve seen both movies made by director and comedian Jordan Peele, and he’s an amazingly talented director. So when my husband and I heard he was making a sequel to the 1992 version of Candyman, we decided we needed to watch that version first. While it was a bit on the cheesy side, as many horror films are, it was definitely scary! A bonus was that the main character in the film is Virginia Madsen, who was fabulous in Sideways.

 

In anticipation for the Halloween spooky movies (or just to give yourself a fun scare any time of year), I would definitely recommend you give this film a viewing!

 

(If you enjoy this, you may also wish to try Get Out and Us, both directed by Jordan Peele.)

 

Internet Movie Database entry for this 1992 film )

 

Recommended by Tracy T.
Anderson and Bethany Branch Libraries

 

Have you watched this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?


New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide Blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewer’s recommendations!

No comments: