Monday, May 2, 2022

Book Review: Transforming: The Bible and the Lives of Transgender Christians by Austen Hartke

Transforming: The Bible and the Lives of Transgender Christians
by Austen Hartke (Downloadable Audio)

I read this book as part of an LGBTQ+ and Allies small group that I’m a part of, at my Church. The point of the group is to be a source of support for each other as well as to better educate ourselves and hopefully those around us.

 

This book is written by a Trans Man who wants to share his experience not just with transitioning, but with his life as a Lutheran Pastor and the effect his transition had on that role. He interviews several other members of the Trans community, asking them to elaborate on their own spiritual journeys and how Transitioning has played a part in that. There are many, MANY places in this Bible that are supportive of Trans people, which was refreshing, to say the least!

 

As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I found this to be encouraging, enlightening, and very educational. I listened to the audio version provided by my library, but I also obtained a print copy, which I have marked up with highlights and plan to re-read often. It’s got a plethora of resources for the reader. I learned so much while reading this book–not just from the book, but also from the discussions it sparked in my small group.

 

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is struggling with the correct verbiage with regards to the Trans community; I’d also recommend it to anyone who would like to be a source of support or who simply has questions.

 

( official Transforming web site ) | ( official Austen Hartke web site )

 

Recommended by Tracy T.
Anderson and Bethany Branch Libraries

 

Have you read or listened to this one? What did you think? Did you find this review helpful?


New reviews appear every month on the Staff Recommendations page of the BookGuide website. You can visit that page to see them all, or watch them appear here in the BookGuide Blog individually over the course of the entire month. Click the tag for the reviewer's name to see more of this reviewer’s recommendations!

No comments: